Saturday, 5 May 2012

Book Review: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Title: Graffiti Moon
Author: Cath Crowley
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Released: August 2010 

Summary:
It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.
His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.
Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.
But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.  - Goodreads. 





My Review: 

Graffiti Moon is a fast paced ride through one night in the lives of teenagers Lucy, Ed, and Leo. It’s a night where anything could happen and is possible, a night of chasing dreams and of being reckless. Crowley captures those teenage feelings of vulnerability, rebellion, invincibility, and of believing nothing will ever be as important as it did when you’re a teenager. 


Lucy is chasing a dream and the idea of a boy, while struggling to understand her parents new relationship wants to see a world of only beautiful things, like the glass she blows. Shadow is a boy who says little about himself out loud but expresses himself through his graffiti of ghosts trapped in jars and yellow birds lying feet up. Poet, who unlike Ed, has a way with words, a broken heart and broken family. Each of the characters are dealing with their own issues on the last night of Year 12 when the possibilities of what lies after high school is both frightening and exhilarating. Crowley interweaves the points of view of the three characters flawlessly and while I sometimes find that changes in point of view can be jarring and hard to follow Crowley executes the changes well and the characters each have a distinct voice. 


The thing that sets Graffiti Moon apart from other YA stories about mistaken identity, romance and broken families is Crowley’s lyrical style of writing. The intrinsic artistic nature of all three characters is represented on the page through the language used by Crowley. I loved these characters so much that I kept flicking through the last pages of the book hoping that there would be more.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I can't believe I haven't heard of it yet!I absolutely adore books like this. Great review. I'll be following and would really appreciate if you would check my blog out and maybe even follow back?
    If you'd like of course.
    www.dogearedandcoffeestained.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graffiti Moon is one of my favs. You should definitely give it a go.
    Thanks the follow :)
    And of course I would love to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this book sounds soooo good! Thanks for the review, I have to check it out now and add it to my TBR. I'm so glad you liked this book. :)

    By the way, thanks for following me and stopping by my blog! I followed back. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...