Saturday, 7 July 2012

Book Review: Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3) by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3)
Author: Rachel Hawkins 
Publisher: Hyperion 
Released: March 2012
Summary: Hailed as “impossible to put down,” the Hex Hall series has both critics and teens cheering. With a winning combination of romance, action, magic and humor, this third volume will leave readers enchanted. Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident. Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?- Goodreads 


I have a confession to make: I'm the worst at remembering books I've read. Unless the book was shocking or for some reason really, really, memorable I'm likely to have forgotten it a few months later. Luckily Rachel Hawkins has created a series that sticks, and although at the outset of picking up Spell Bound, the last installment in the Hex Hall series, some of the details were a bit hazy around the edges I was able to be transported right back into the world of Witches, Warlocks, Demons, Sophie Mercer and Archer Cross, of course. Who could forget about him?


Another book, another awful cover. Ok, I kid. But really. These babies need a makeover stat. Spell Bound was every bit as action-packed and addictive as the two previous Hex Hall novels. Once again Sophie Mercer's special brand of humor, or should I say snarky sarcasm, strikes again. And although Spell Bound is overall more tragic and dark than previous Hex Hall novels it is still filled to the brim with Sophie-isms. The plot is fast moving and we are introduced to some kickass new characters (can anyone say Brannick kids spinoff?). I loved that we get to return to Hex Hall, back were it all began; though a somewhat rushed conclusion to this series may be disappointing for some fans. 


As for the love side of things. Well it was...satisfying. I have been team Archer all the way, so the dreaded love triangle stuff annoyed me a little bit, but I came around to Cal in the end as he proves to be a good friend to Sophie. Spell Bound was a spell-binding ending to a captivating series that sees our beloved characters each getting their happy ending (kinda), despite there being some...sacrifices. 


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read these, so I'd need to start at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the covers need a makeover. They have nothing to do with the story, especially the cat. What was that for? It's like Sabrina or something. Okay, although spellbound, with the sword makes sense to me.

    Yes to Brannick spinoff, that would be great! And I know people who've read this book are wondering about Izzy and Torin, what was that about, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah, the cat is weird and uncalled for. I'm definitely wondering about the Izzy/Torin thing too!

      Delete
    2. Oh, if you're a fan of Hex Hall Series, would you like to join the approved fanlisting for it? I host it and no one has joined yet. LOL.
      http://nicklelove.com/hexhall

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...